Nursey's Niche

Everyday brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and dance!

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Emerson once said, "Insist on yourself; never imitate...every man is unique." I hope to be that way in every breath that I breathe, in every song that I sing, and every dance that I dance... My dance has taken me on quite the journey over the years! Right now I am living in Terrace, BC with my best friend and husband Matt and my little sister Heather... we're better together... I work at the hospital as a RN and am working toward my nursing specialty certificate in Critical Care... a journey for sure!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

the value of time...

To realize the value of a sister
Ask someone who doesn't have one.

To realize the value of ten years:
Ask a newly divorced couple.

To realize the value of four years:
Ask a graduate.

To realize the value of one year:
Ask a student who has failed a final exam.

To realize the value of nine months:
Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.

To realizeThe value of one month:
Ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.

To realize the value of one week:
Ask an editor of a weekly newspaper.

To realize the value of one minute:
Ask a person who has missed the train, bus or plane.

To realize the value of one-second:
Ask a person who has survived an accident.

Time waits for no one.
Treasure every moment you have.
You will treasure it even more when you can share it with someone special.

To realize the value of a friend or family member:
lose one...

Talk about an interesting way to look at things! A friend of mine from school sent me this in an email and I have to say - it certainly makes you look at time in a different manner!

Another interesting issue surrounding 'time' for me came from reading my cousin's blog...(she is a missionary in Northern Ontario on an Aboriginal Reserve). She has just finished reading a book called "flabbergasted" by Ray Blackston and this is a quote from there...

"I had always pictured myself living on the face of a huge clock, running just ahead of the second hand that would slam me in the butt every time I tried to slow down. But in Ecuador I felt like I was being pulled along by the minute hand, slow and steady, with enough leisure to enjoy circumference, the arc of a day. Now, finally, I understood the difference between tick and tock. Tick flips from the end of the tongue like something fast and hurried, as something instant, surfacy, and shallow. Tock comes from a deeper place; it's a bass note, or at least a tenor. Tocks moves more slowly. If there were a tocking time bomb, I would not run out of the building, but rather stroll through the lobby, order a cafe mocha, check the sports page for standings in the American League East, then hold the door open as a good Southerner should."

Time... to everything there is a season, a time for everything under heaven (Ecclesiastes 3:1) Everything in life is revolvant around time... we as humans measure time in second, minutes and hours... days, weeks, and years... Papa doesn't live in such a limited existence... he has eternity where years are seconds and seconds are decades - this is incredible to me!

So in essence, time is a gift to us - each second of our day is a gift to us from the author of our existence - we are stewards of our time and accountable for how we spend our days and for who we spend our time with... for me this causes me to take another look at procrastination... a huge fallout of mine, one that I will definitely have to continue to lay down... and so I say "My times are in your hands (Ps 31:15)"

I love how Laura ended her blog... "and life goes on... tock, tock, tock." I am going to try to live my life as more of a tocking kind of life as opposed to the fast paced ticking that I have been living... I'll settle for a slowdown...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Oh, exactly what I needed to read tonight. Thank you!!!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey cuz!
Thanks for the honourable mention! - and for the reminder that time is a gift. A gift we have been given, and a gift we can give away. :)

Laura<><

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home