Nursey's Niche

Everyday brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and dance!

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Emerson once said, "Insist on yourself; never imitate...every man is unique." I hope to be that way in every breath that I breathe, in every song that I sing, and every dance that I dance... My dance has taken me on quite the journey over the years! Right now I am living in Terrace, BC with my best friend and husband Matt and my little sister Heather... we're better together... I work at the hospital as a RN and am working toward my nursing specialty certificate in Critical Care... a journey for sure!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

some new experiences!

Another long day... but better than yesterday! It was raining when I left this morning for the bus... but made it to the hospital in good time... a little wet, but ready to start the day!
It was a great day as far as learning went... had a few new experiences - packing a sternal wound was a first for me... it was basically a hole in the chest with tunnelling about the size of the line in the picture. I had to pack it with about 26" of ribbon soaked in NS (normal saline... NaCl)... then cover with a dry dressing... went verrry well if I do say so myself!
My next learning opportunity came when I got to accompany one of my preceptor's patients to the OR (operating room). He was having oral surgery for a Lt lateral mandible # (fractured jaw). The surgeon showed me the CT scans and Xrays... then he proceded to wired the guys jaw... it was pretty cool to watch... but almost made me sick - I hate dental work - feels too close to home.. ugh.. shivers just thinking about it!
Also did a catheter... not new... but there is definitely something to follow up on tomorrow because she is not having any urinary output... not a good sign... have to keep an eye open!
Anyway... day ends... home time... AND I have a ride home! No bus for me... one of the guys (Jarah or J) drove me - turns out he lives just around the corner! So he is going to pick me up in the morning too because he is working days again also....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home