Nursey's Niche

Everyday brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and dance!

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Emerson once said, "Insist on yourself; never imitate...every man is unique." I hope to be that way in every breath that I breathe, in every song that I sing, and every dance that I dance... My dance has taken me on quite the journey over the years! Right now I am living in Terrace, BC with my best friend and husband Matt and my little sister Heather... we're better together... I work at the hospital as a RN and am working toward my nursing specialty certificate in Critical Care... a journey for sure!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Taming Time


By Dr. John C. Maxwell

Time is precious. Ask the coach whose team is behind in the final seconds of a game. Ask the air traffic controller in charge of scheduling takeoffs and landings at a major airport. Ask the news reporter who has just received a breaking story from the AP wire. Ask the cancer patient who has recently learned they have only two months left to live.
Time management is an oxymoron. Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. Our days are identical suitcases—all the same size—but some can pack more into them than others. No one has a magical ability to make time, but if our lives have direction, we can make the most of the moments we have been given.
Time is more valuable than money, because time is irreplaceable. “You don’t really pay for things with money,” says author Charles Spezzano in What to Do between Birth and Death. “You pay for them with time.” We exchange our time for dollars when we go to work and then trade our dollars for everything we purchase and accumulate. In essence, all we possess can be traced back to an investment of time. Time stewardship is perhaps a leader’s greatest responsibility. In the words of Peter Drucker, “Nothing else distinguishes effective executives as much as their tender loving care of time.”

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

*sigh* Feels like I am always just a few minutes behind the clock! "Time management" is a complete oxymoron, not to mention impossible! Yesterday, whilst running from app't to app't, I remembered the phrase, "the tyranny of the urgent." It's too easy to let all the urgent demands in our lives take precedence over the important!

Thanks for the post. Didn't have time to read it 'til now. (hee hee)

8:10 AM  
Blogger Carin said...

I so love that... and it so true...life often makes us forget about the important and we allow it to put us into situations where things become urgent and thus neglect the important...
You are wonderful Gwen!!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home