Nursey's Niche

Everyday brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and dance!

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Emerson once said, "Insist on yourself; never imitate...every man is unique." I hope to be that way in every breath that I breathe, in every song that I sing, and every dance that I dance... My dance has taken me on quite the journey over the years! Right now I am living in Terrace, BC with my best friend and husband Matt and my little sister Heather... we're better together... I work at the hospital as a RN and am working toward my nursing specialty certificate in Critical Care... a journey for sure!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

an unfortunate poke

So day one of this set... not even 4 hours in and I was drawing some blood from an arterial line - did good... remembered all the steps... was wearing gloves... was doing wonderfully... or so I thought...

Well... as I go to hand off the vials of blood to the lab tech waiting just outside of the door - I took the adapter piece to dispose of it... which had some blood on it and was apparently sharp...

sharp enough to poke through my gloves... UGH - (no no..) DOUBLE UGH!!!

This patient is Heb A, Heb B, and Hep C positive... just freakin great! needless to say the poke drew my blood and that means I have to be screened... so is a 2hr wait in ER for a freakin tetanus and some lab work...

End result there is a 1.8% chance of contracting Hep C... I am covered through my vaccinations for Heb A and B... and as far as the HIV possibility goes - they are slim - the woman is older and doesn't appear to be a high risk patient for HIV... phew - no antiretroviral drugs for me...they are nasty horrible - make you ridiculously ill... And I am really not all that worried... which apparently according to some is ridiculous - but I figure why worry about something that I can't change now anyway? what can I change by worrying? it would only make it harder to deal with for me... really - I would rather just trust that God has everything under control... that his plan for me is bigger than a needle poke and some Hep C... so not that my first inclination is not to worry - but rather, I choose not to worry... I don't hold the power to change anything... so I choose to trust in the strength of my Papa to carry me through - his arms are strong enough... strong enough for anything - even an unfortunate poke.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Sounds like you can use some prayer....:)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Lynnie Ha said...

u are right, He is SO in control (ain't never out of it!) and is much bigger than the nastiest bugs there are... God is much bigger than the buggie man!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I love you!!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Darci said...

Such a scary experience from such a small event. You are in my prayers, miss you!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home