Nursey's Niche

Everyday brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and dance!

My Photo
Name:
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Emerson once said, "Insist on yourself; never imitate...every man is unique." I hope to be that way in every breath that I breathe, in every song that I sing, and every dance that I dance... My dance has taken me on quite the journey over the years! Right now I am living in Terrace, BC with my best friend and husband Matt and my little sister Heather... we're better together... I work at the hospital as a RN and am working toward my nursing specialty certificate in Critical Care... a journey for sure!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

spinal cord injuries (SCI)


Hey everyone... a lot of people have been asking questions about what happens with spinal cord injuries and what the chances of surviving and complete recovery are... I had some good conversation last night at the (wonderful and amazing) progressive dinner with a few people...
I posted the above picture because it gives a very good idea of what level of ability is impaired at each level of the spinal cord.
I have another really great resource if there is anyone who really wants to learn more about this - please feel free to comment or call! For those who don't really want to read more I will give you a brief idea of some stuff I do know...
After any spinal cord injury the person sustaining the injury will go into spinal shock. This is the total loss of all reflex functions and movement below the level of the lesion (injury). This condition may last several hours, days, weeks, or even months. The full extent of the injuries could take up to a year sometimes to determine.
There are also two types of spinal cord injuries - complete and incomplete. A complete SCI is the total absence of movement and sensation below the level of the lesion. The cord is either completely severed or destroyed in the region. All the areas of the body whose innervation (where nerves connect to the spinal cord) begins at or below this section of the cord will now remain isolated from the brain.
Incomplete SCI indicates that some sensory and/or motor function below the level of injury has been preserved.
There are different functions that are affected according to the neurological level of injury. (see picture)
At the level of L4, the person with SCI can extend the knees and flex the feet. There is a certain amount of paralysis in the back of the legs, but walking is possible with forearm crtuches or with short foot braces and a cane. Most lesions at this level affect the cauda-equina (sheaf of nerves beyond the spinal cord down to the coccyx). The bladder reflex function may be lost as well.
I am praying along with everyone for recovery the recovery... I have had a lot of experience with SCI's and I have no doubt that a full life is ahead! I hope that some of this information helped and that it will help you to direct your prayer... this info was taken from a book published by the Canadian Paraplegic Association called "Life after a spinal cord injury"...
a cheers to my heroes in chairs... my heroes who life life to its fullest, challenging standards and achieving their dreams!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Okay, you answered a lot of my questions! Good post, thanks.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home